The stunning Purerua Peninsula is home to the highest density of kiwi anywhere on the planet!
It covers 7,600ha on the northern reaches of the Bay of Islands
Kiwi Coast, Pest Free Purerua's goal is to protect and enhance native flora and fauna on the peninsula.A conservation project led by
- Trapping possums, stoats, rats and feral cats
- Creating and maintaining refuge areas to protect native species including those classified as threatened or at risk
- Establishing wildlife corridors along marginal strips
- Increasing food sources for native birds, especially kiwi
- Establishing a 8,000ha pest controlled buffer zone outside the peninsula from Kapiro to Rangitane to suppress reinvasion
- Developing employment opportunities within the project for local trappers
The pest control effort within the area is supported by iwi, private landowners, corporates, Kiwi Coast, Department of Conservation and Northland Regional Council.
|Traps in the field
|Total Pests Removed
|2021-22 - Jobs for Nature paid hours of employment